It is advised to consult with the chosen officiating religious establishment to confirm the exact requirements and process for a religious marriage. All required documents in any language other than Greek must be officially translated into Greek.
- At least one of the parties must be of the Greek Orthodox religion
- Baptism certificates are required for both parties; these must be signed by the parish priest and confirmed and stamped by the Bishop where they were issued
- A church certificate providing consent and the freedom to marry may also be required
- PASSPORT COPIES OF BOTH PARTIES
FULL BIRTH CERTIFICATES OF BRIDE AND GROOM
Both parties are obliged to provide a full birth certificate. Shorter versions will not be accepted.
- CERTIFICATE OF NON-IMPEDIMENT TO MARRIAGE FROM THE MUNICIPALITY WHERE THE APPLICANT IS REGISTERED
This document confirms that you have not been married and that you are free to married. The document can be issued in your local Registrar’s office and it must not be issued more than 3 months before your wedding.
- DIVORCE CERTIFICATE IF ANY (from Civil and Church Authorities)
- If either party has been divorced, please provide a certified copy of the Decree Absolute.
- OFFICIAL DOCUMENT ABOUT CHANGING YOUR NAME IF ANY
- ADOPTION CERTIFICATES IF ANY
As regulations vary, it is advisable to check with the appropriate church before applying.